One of the hidden places in our homes that we can be more eco friendly is often the laundry room. Small changes in this room can make a big difference. Here are a few green tips:
- Wash your clothes in cold water whenever possible. Also, make sure your machine is set to always rinse in cold.
- Set your washer to the appropriate water level for the size of your load. If you have a small load, don’t run your washer set for the largest load possible.
- After every load, clean the lint filter in your dryer. (This can save your house from catching on fire too!)
- Use the “Automatic” instead of the “Timed” setting on your dryer.
- Install a clothesline in your backyard and dry your clothes for free! (I live in Chicago, so trust me when I say I completely get it if you can’t do this all the time – like in the winter with 3 feet of snow!)
- When shopping for your next washing machine, consider a front loading washer that cuts hot water use by 60%-70%. Even if you don’t get a front loader, make sure your new machine carries the Energy Star rating to certify that it uses less energy than standard models.
- Watch the ingredient list for your detergents. Less is more, and if your detergent has a bunch of chemicals you’ve never heard of, it is time to find another detergent that is more eco friendly.
Do you have any eco friendly laundry room tips?
For more eco friendly ideas, visit our Green Tips section.